Bankruptcy forced the DeLorean Motor Company (DMC) to shut down its Belfast, Northern Ireland production facility in 1982, with an inventory of over 1,700 brand new cars and millions of parts. During liquidation, Consolidated International acquired all of DMC’s remaining inventory. Meanwhile, Steven Wynne, a British mechanic specializing in DeLorean maintenance and restoration since 1982, opened a 40,000 square foot warehouse in Houston, Texas, meant to act as a centralized distribution centre for used DMC parts. In 1997, Wynne acquired all DMC inventory from Consolidated International, in addition to the DeLorean Motor Company name and logo.
Initially, the acquisition was aimed to support Wayne’s maintenance, restoration and parts sales operations. He and his team have serviced a consistent stock of 35-45 DeLoreans belonging to owners from all around the world since 1987. They also sell parts to DeLorean owners and restorers. As those operations were still not considerably cutting into the new DMC’s parts stock, they began assembling brand new DeLoreans themselves.
A DeLorean requires roughly 2,700 individual parts of which DMC has over 99%, with no opportunities for traditional inventory replenishment. To fill the holes in their inventory, the remaining less than 1% are rather easily reproduced, rebuilt or procured as used parts. As all original DMC technical specifications and drawings were also acquired, they are often able to reproduce parts using the original specs with CAD/CAM and 3D modeling. This, in combination with their current inventory, allows the modern DeLorean Motor Company to produce a maximum of 500 cars, while continuing its additional pursuit to be the most prominent facility for DeLorean service, parts and restoration.
Since 2016, the new DMC has employed Acctivate as its inventory management software. Acctivate is utilized for inventory adjustments when parts are received in the distribution centre, whether reproduced or acquired as used parts. Those adjustments are then automatically integrated into DMC’s web store. Acctivate supports and is used to create assemblies (one part containing multiple parts) in addition to sales order management including open and closed sales order monitoring, the creation of pick tickets and sales order printing. Some service orders, such as full frame-off restorations, require 200-300 line items for labor codes and part codes.
“We’re able to build a service order pretty quickly with Acctivate, especially with some of these big restorations“– Sarah Heasty, Service Manager, DeLorean Motor Company.
DMC uses Acctivate’s Business Activity Service Billing module to create service order quotes, where separate subtotals can be created for a customer’s engine, transmission, suspension, etc., providing increased transparency. The Business Activity Scheduling module is employed to track labour hours and parts used for each service order. Labour hour tracking helps with DMC’s capacity planning as parts are pulled prior to service, increasing efficiency.