Salomon S-Lab Fellcross softground trail-shoe – TESTED + REVIEWED
The Fellcross is Salomon’s most lightweight “grippy” trail shoe with a low profile race feel, featuring a 9mm stack height in the heel, 5mm height in the fore foot, giving it a 4mm heel-to-toe drop. Its tractor-like grip has served me well on mud and snow. The pods are aimed forward in the forefoot, providing you with effective grip while running uphill, and aimed backwards in the heel to give you a nice foothold while running downhill. However, the pods don’t help much against steep slippery rocks and the slanted metal soapy walls placed at the finish of Spartan Races.
The Fellcorss is unisex, which I found to make it run a bit narrow for my male feet, it also shrank a little after some hand-washings (rinsing it in water and letting it dry in the sun). The TPU toe cap does a good job protecting your toes from abrasion and while low profile, the EVU heel cup does a nice job cushioning your heel from those unavoidable downhill heel-strikes. If you require more heel and forefoot protection, you may want to consider the Salomon Speedcross. The Fellcross is available in one color. Watch the video.
- MIDSOLE HEIGHT – 9mm/5mm (4mm heel-to-toe drop)
- WEIGHT – 260g / 9.2oz
- TEXTILE – Lightweight, breathable abrasion resistant materials allows for breathability and comfort
- ANTI-DEBRIS MESH – Avoid debris to be trapped between your foot and the footbed
- LACE POCKET – Provides easy storage for the Quick Fit lacing system
- MUD GUARD – Protective material all around the base of the shoe
- SENSIFIT™ – Sensifit system works to cradle the foot providing a precise and secure fit.
- QUICKLACE™ – Minimalistic and strong lace for one-pull tightening. Easy-on, easy-off.
- MUD&SNOW NON-MARKING CONTAGRIP® – Used specifically in Winter, this non-marking contagrip leaves no traces whatever the terrain.
- MOLDED EVA – Molded EVA midsole provides lighweight cushioning and stability
- INJECTED EVA
- MOLDED EVA – Provides excellent next to foot cushioning and anatomical support
- EVA SHAPED FOOTBED – Provides excellent cushioning and anatomically designed support
- ORTHOLITE® – OrthoLite® sockliner combines a specific Ortholite® foam and an EVA heel cup. Ortholite® foam creates a cooler, drier, healthier, better cushioned environment under the foot. It will not break down or lose effectiveness over time. Recycled tire content to protect the environment. EVA heel cups allows for a better heel support and added cushioning.
- Great grip in mud, snow, uphill and downhill
- Fast low-profile feel
- Does not grip well on slippery rocks
- Shrinks after multiple hand washings
- Don’t wash them so often